Issue detected : Artlantis crashes at the opening or during the opening of a file, it works slowly.
Cause of the issue :
Many laptops are now available with dual graphics card i.e. An integrated (Intel) graphics and an additional dedicated (NVIDIA or AMD) graphics card.
Often issues can occur where your applications need to use the dedicated graphics card. The default option on the laptop may be set to “Auto” where the system will decide which GPU can be used for a specific application.
How to solve it :
This is a guide on how to change the settings for switchable graphics cards. These steps will vary from computer to computer, but the following is a good guide for how to get this done.
1. Right click on your desktop and select Graphics Properties. This will open the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. Click on Advanced Mode and OK.
2. In the next window, click on the 3D tab and set your 3D preference to Performance. [Note: If, at the end of this process, the application still doesn't run correctly, also de-select 'Application Optimal Mode']. Click Apply.
3. Come back in the main menu, and now select the Power tab. Set the Power Plans to Maximum Performance. If you sometimes perform with your laptop only running on battery, then select battery in the bottom right corner and also set it for High Performance.
NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD
1. Right click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
2. Click on Adjust Image Settings with Preview, select Use the advanced 3D Image Settings and click Apply.
3. Click then on Manage 3D Settings and open the drop down menu for Global Settings. Select the High-performance NVIDIA processor as your preferred graphics processor and click Apply.
4. Open the drop down menu for Program Settings and search for your application in the list or if it’s not listed click Add. Search for the Artlantis application and double click to select it.
5. Click Apply and you are done. Re-start application. If you are still having problems, you may need to go to www.nvidia.com (do not use Windows Update) and download the latest drivers.
ATI/AMD RADEON GRAPHIC CARD
NOTE: There is a huge variation in versions of the ATI/AMD Radeon Catalyst Control Center for adjusting the settings for these cards so the following should be seen more as indicative as actual. Even if your Control Center looks different to these images, the principles are the same and you should be able to find similar options to those described here.
1. Right click on your desktop and select Graphics properties.
2. On the Power tab, open PowerPlay. Set Plugged In and Battery to Maximum Performance. Click Apply.
3. If applicable to your graphic card, go on Gaming tab, 3D Application Settings and move the slider across to Performance. Click Apply. NOTE: This function might not be available on all ATI models.
4. If your Catalyst Control Center has the Switchable Graphics tab go there and browse to locate the Artlantis application and set it for High Performance. Click Apply.
5. Re-start your computer and your application. If the problem still occurs you may need to go www.amd.com (do not use Windows Update) and download the latest drivers.